Get your firecrackers out, new red clothes on and brace yourselves for the red envelopes, because Lunar New Year is just around the corner! Ring in the Year of the Pig with all the exciting cultural festivities this city has to offer. It can be overwhelming what to choose for this seemingly long two-week holiday, but we’re here to narrow it down to the “Lucky 8 Lunar New Activities”. There’ll be no FOMO no ‘mo.
1. That whole ‘new year, new you’ saying that is often overused in the West is also a common belief in the East. Every new year, families make sure to get their haircuts, sweep the house and buy new clothing to ensure that all the bad luck from the previous year is left behind. Just be sure that this is all done BEFORE and not the day of.
2. FEBRUARY 1 – Reserve tickets to MOCA’s Lunar New Year Night Market which will be featuring tasty food vendors, exceptional live performances, Remy XO tastings and a meet and greet with Danielle Chang herself. There will also be an exclusive screening of Lucky Chow Season 3.
3. FEBRUARY 3-13 – Pig out on some dim sum! This year, we’re partnering up with the renowned Nom Wah Tea Parlor to offer patrons a deliciously satisfying and traditional Lunar New Year’s feast that is ensured to bring all the luck, vitality and love into the coming year. Featured items include Roast Pork Bun, Original O.G. Egg Roll and Stir-Fried Sticky Rice.
4. FEBRUARY 7 – Get dolled up for the Chinese New Year Gala at Hwa Yuan Szechuan! This festive dinner will feature Michelin award-winning Chinese cuisine, a scrumptious dessert buffet, and signature cocktails by Remy XO. Entertainment will include a traditional lion dance and a chance to win tickets to Hamilton: An American Musical with backstage tour! Enter code: LUCKYRICE for an exclusive 75% OFF DISCOUNT!
5. FEBRUARY 8 – Learn some new cooking skills! Head over to Bloomingdale’s for a live cooking demonstration curated by LUCKYRICE to get an inside lesson on making delicious homemade dumplings paired along with a Remy XO tasting. You can also find this classic recipe here.
6. Enjoy traditional Lunar New Year dishes that are ensured to bring you luck, fortune and love this year! Traditional dishes include fish, which represents prosperity; noodles for happiness and longevity; and mandarin oranges for fullness and wealth.
7. FEBRUARY 17 – Go to a Chinese New Year Parade! All along the streets of Mott and Canal, you can find martial art performances, dragon dancing and firecracker explosions which are quintessential celebrations for many families this time of year.
8. Now with all those red envelopes pouring in, what are you going to do? Go shopping, obviously! Be sure to check out Pearl River Mart for the most eclectic finds on essential goods, adorable souvenirs and modern Chinese items. They also opened a third location inside MOCA which officially opened on Thursday, January 31st.